Friday, April 14, 2006

Dollars and Cents

We walked in to the bank today carrying a 39 pound box, and told the receptionist we had some change to deposit.

A teller across the room exclaimed, "That's full of change?!"

"Yes, it is!" was our response.

And so, over the course of the next twenty minutes, we waited and watched while the coin-counting machine tallied up all of the loose change we'd collected over the years. This box has actually moved with us a couple of times, although we never let the movers handle it since they charge by weight, and I'm not sure if we would have come out ahead in the deal. Since we're facing another move soon, this time across town, it seemed like a good idea to finally turn the change into something more usable.

And is it ever. The grand total came to $176.

(I had a fleeting idea as I was typing this that it might be just enough to purchase a Little Giant, but no, the As Seen On TV model is about twice that amount.)

5 comments:

Jill said...

The coin sorting machine was my favorite job at the bank. One thing I learned quickly is that those dimes pop out quite toasty.

I spent one pleasant day sorting all the change from a laundry mat. I know it sounds terribly dull but it beat dealing with people and their money.

It also helps that the coin machine never said things like, "I bet your boyfriend likes it when you wear that dress."

Randy said...

That sounds like the equivalent of gathering shopping carts back when I worked at a grocery store.

I did have to walk to the far reaches of the parking lot sometimes, but it beat dealing with angry customers or cleaning up spills.

It's a pity, though, that no one ever said to me, "I bet your girlfriend likes it when you wear that smock."

george said...

Jackpot!

I recommend starting a fund to pay for a trip to the BCS title game.

The title run begins in 139 days.

Anonymous said...

$176 is not a bad haul...not at all. Box must have weighed 20 lbs at least.

I have a coin Bud Light Bottle that I emptied this very morning for a grand total of $146. It's been collecting coins since I moved to Phoenix so about 14 months of change.

Anonymous said...

They have one of those machines at my grocery store, and I keep meaning to take in my store of pennies. It would probably be a whole $5, but it would be nice to be rid of them.