Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Wii got one!

We found a Wii yesterday! Because there are so many more of them available than the PlayStation 3s, we had assumed that it wouldn't be that hard to find one. On release day, though, we went to all the stores in McHenry that we thought even might have one, only to find that every store was sold out and that none of them really knew when they'd be getting more. Wal-Mart kept assuring us that they had another shipment that would be arriving at practically any moment, but it never materialized. Sears told us just two days ago that they only got two, and they had to turn away more than 50 people who were waiting in line.

So yesterday, when I had the day off, I hit all the McHenry stores again in the morning, and again nothing. After lunch, I was reading a message board where people were posting about trying to find the Wii and someone mentioned finding one at a Target in Michigan at about 1 p.m. eastern time. It was, at this point, 12:52 p.m. central time. So I put my shoes on and hustled over to the Crystal Lake Target - and found ten Wiis sitting behind the counter in the electronics department. I bought one!

As I was leaving, I called Randy to offer to buy another for one of his co-workers who's been looking for a Wii for his son for Christmas. His co-worker said yes, please, so I put ours in the car and went back in. As I was heading back to electronics a second time, a man sprinted past me to buy one - in the time between buying my first and second (which was maybe 3 minutes), I saw three other people buy them. So. Wow. We have a Wii!

And it rocks! Seriously, so much fun. It comes with a sports game that has tennis, baseball, bowling, golf and boxing - Randy and I played them all last night. In case you don't know how the Wii works, it has a motion-sensitive controller. So when you're playing tennis, you swing your remote like a racquet; in golf, you putt with it; you either pitch or bat with it; and you swing your arm just like you're bowling. I have to say that I didn't think a golfing game (or, honestly, tennis, or boxing, or baseball) would be that fun, but it really was. Bowling was my favorite.

In other news, we had a great Thanksgiving in St. Louis again. It was wonderful to get to see everyone, Grandma Gilda fed us waaay too much, and we did lots of shopping. The girls always hit the stores first thing in the morning, so we were at Wal-Mart at 5 a.m. I have to say, I hope to never ever be in a store that crowded again. The line to get in was so long that by the time we actually made it up to the doors, the first people in were already leaving with their insanely-lowly-priced TVs. I didn't actually get anything there, but I did find plenty of clothes elsewhere, so it worked out okay.

10 comments:

Jill said...

Congrats on your purchase! It's kind of funny that bowling is your favorite since the real thing hasn't ever ranked very high in the past! We just missed a few shipments in OKC and are still harassing the salespeople here in CT. They are holding them until Sunday for sale. So, we're going to try again and then hit the Nintendo store in NYC if we have to!

The evil miscreants on e-bay with 50 or so are really making me angry.

Wendy said...

Thanks! Yeah, I had heard that stores were holding them for Sunday, so I think we really lucked out to find one. When I went back for the second one, a different clerk helped me. While she was checking me out, another lady came up to buy one and the clerk who helped me the first time came to help her. When he walked up, he asked her "Have you already bought one? Because it's one per customer," (which neither of the clerks had asked me). She said no, but I said, "Oh-" and I was about to go into this explanation about how I was buying it for a friend and not to resell it, honest, but at that point my brain caught up with my mouth and I shut up.

Everybody was looking at me at that point, but either the first guy didn't recognize me or didn't care, so I just didn't make eye contact and tried not to look too shifty as I paid and hurried out before they could demand that I return it. Luckily, I made my escape before they could stop me.

Good luck finding one soon!

Jill said...

Too bad you didn't get a third one to ship to CT. Apparently, CT is vast Wii wasteland.

Anonymous said...

Yay for Wii!

Nick stood in line at Wal-mart from about 3PM Saturday until midnight when they were released. He was 17th in line and they had 20.

We love the sports games too, funny because none of us care for sports that much (them more than I), and certainly don't care about sports games.

But have you gotten Zelda yet? WONDERFUL AWESOMENESS!

Wendy said...

Yeah, we actually got Zelda before we got the Wii, because there were supposedly limited quantities. So when I saw one at Target the day after Thanksgiving, I went ahead and bought it. We haven't played it that much yet, but so far it rocks. I was worried that it might be tricky for me having Link be right handed, but it's not at all, which is nice.

Jill said...

We just got home from the Circuit City where we purchased Wii #10 of 11! We got to Target at 6:10 and when we missed it by 2 we sped to the City even semi-running a red in front of a police officer. oops.

Let the games begin.

Randy said...

Congrats on scoring a Wii!

I'm totally digging the sports games, especially tennis.

Jill said...

Bowling is the only game where I can beat Jay. We were playing Rayman yesterday, too. I think we're going to get Zelda and maybe Excite Truck so we have something else to play together.

Wendy said...

I think I'd like to get Rayman, too - do you guys like it? I'm really digging Zelda and totally recommend it.

Jill said...

Rayman is okay. It's mostly a bunch of minigames that are more or less interesting/doable. Jess really liked it but she really likes the minigame format.