Wednesday, October 06, 2010

Snap to, dear readers! Snap to!

Way back in January, at my day job, I came across a fantastic-sounding book review; a review so good I had to share it with Wendy. The book was The Monstrumologist by Rick Yancey. This was the review, in part:

Grades 9-12. With a roaring sense of adventure and enough viscera to gag the hardiest of gore hounds, Yancey’s series starter might just be the best horror novel of the year. Will Henry is the 12-year-old apprentice to Pellinore Warthrop, a brilliant and self-absorbed monstrumologist—a scientist who studies (and when necessary, kills) monsters in late-1800s New England.
...
Yancey keeps the shocks frequent and shrouded in a splattery miasma of blood, bone, pus, and maggots.
...
Yancey’s prose is stentorian and wordy, but it weaves a world that possesses a Lovecraftian logic and hints at its own deeply satisfying mythos. Most effective of all, however, is the weirdly tender relationship between the quiet, respectful boy and his strict, Darwinesque father figure. “Snap to!” is Warthrop’s continued demand of Will, but readers will need no such needling.
Source: Booklist

Wendy shared the same enthusiasm as I. “Dude, that sounds awesome!” she said. I checked all the local libraries online, but it was checked out everywhere. The book had just won a Michael L. Printz Honor Award, which is how I heard about it, so it was no surprise the book was so popular.

Several months later, at the company book sale, we were winding down by going through the stacks of books we’d each found. As luck would have it, Wendy had found a copy of The Monstrumologist! Sweet!

The next several months, though, it sat in a big pile of books, nearly forgotten. However, I recently re-discovered it, remembered my earlier excitement, and decided to give it a read.

Well, I finished it last night.

And wow, that book has an astounding amount of gore! And it’s really good!

If you like your stories dark, grim, gruesome, appalling, with a LOT of gore, and with hordes of ravenous, man-slaughtering monsters, then you may have just met your match.

As for me, I think I’ll try something lighter for my next book.

But wait! There’s more!

I just discovered the sequel is about to be released! It’s called The Curse of the Wendigo and the Booklist review says it has "more honest emotion than any book involving copious de-facings (yes, you read that right) ought to have".

No comments: