Saturday, April 02, 2005

Follow your bliss

Today was my last day at Naropa. I knew that it would be sad to say goodbye, but I think it was actually harder than I was expecting. I managed to avoid thinking about it too much for most of the day, even though I (like Randy) didn't actually have that much to do today. It felt a little bit like the last day of school before summer - everyone was terribly unfocused and unproductive today.

After work, my co-workers and I all went for a bowling-pizza party extravaganza, which was lots of fun until it was time to leave, when most of us ended up in tears. Even though the job itself wasn't always the greatest, I don't know that I could have ever imagined having better co-workers or friends than them. I learned a lot of wonderful things while working at Naropa, and very few of them actually had anything to do with university admissions.

One of the phrases you hear on a semi-regular basis at Naropa is "follow your bliss." I think that writing will give me the opportunity to do that, but maybe I hadn't realized just how much this job was allowing me to follow my bliss until it was time to give it up. On the other hand, I can't pretend I'm not glad that I'll never have to look at another visitation request form again.

It's bittersweet. And I'm melancholy.

No comments: