Friday, November 11, 2005

You have one new message!

I ran some errands this afternoon, and when I got back, there was a message on the answering machine, an automated phone call from our congresswoman. She was calling to invite us to attend a town hall meeting on identity theft tomorrow afternoon. It's a growing problem, she said, particularly in the suburbs, and she's arranged for a panel of experts to speak. It was a very convincing message - I will definitely be there. Because it's being held at my conference center. And I am scheduled to work.

Okay, I know I'm a dork, but I got kind of a kick out of telling her recorded voice, "Why, thank you. I'd be delighted to attend. I'll be sure to get there early to get a good seat! And to unlock the doors!"

In other news, dinner tonight was an unmitigated disaster, to the point of throwing it away and going out to eat instead. It wasn't even a new recipe - something just went terribly wrong somewhere, leaving Randy and I staring at the stove and then at each other until I finally said, "Um...You want to go out instead?"

3 comments:

george said...

I had a reverse cooking experience. I went to the Imperial Garden in Lawrence, Kan. It convinced me I need to cook more.

Anonymous said...

I usually just look into the future, see a miserably failed experiment in cooking, and go find something else.

Austin said...

I refuse to comment on the cooking experience.



Instead, I shall comment on how I laughed out loud when you talked back to the pre-recorded message. That's really silly and fun.