Sunday, January 06, 2008

Sunday Breakfast

I like to make Sunday breakfast. I don't always cook Sunday mornings, but I would say more often than not I make muffins or pancakes or waffles or something. This morning, I made Four-Grain Pancakes, and they were so tasty that I knew I had an obligation to share the recipe with the world.

Here's my recipe, slightly adapted from one of my cookbooks. Next time you're hungry and you have some extra time for breakfast, make these. Seriously. You can thank me later.

Four-Grain Pancakes

1/2 cup whole wheat flour
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup cornmeal
2 t baking powder
1 t baking soda
1/2 t salt
This is the part that I think completely makes the recipe:
1 packet of instant flavored oatmeal
The original recipe calls for 1/3 cup quick-cooking oats and 3 T maple syrup, and you could certainly do that, but I used 1 packet of Quaker Weight Control Oatmeal in Maple and Brown Sugar flavor, and it is insanely good. The packet was about 1/2 cup of uncooked oatmeal.
2 cups buttermilk
I also did not use buttermilk, but soy milk made a fine substitute. I'm sure regular milk would as well, although you might want to use slightly less than 2 cups, since neither is as thick as buttermilk.
1/3 cup butter, melted
2 eggs, beaten


In a large bowl, combine everything. Stir just until it's all mixed together - don't overmix.

Heat a griddle or skillet over medium-high heat. I use a non-stick skillet, and you'll definitely want to spray it with non-stick spray or grease it with butter for the first set of pancakes. You'll know the griddle is hot enough when you sprinkle a few drops of water on it and they dance around before evaporating.

Cook the pancakes - they should sizzle a little when they hit the griddle, because you want them to be slightly crispy on the outside. They'll take a few minutes on the first side and only a minute or so once you flip them. This recipe made about 16 pancakes, which is always enough to feed the 2 of us twice. So, four servings, I guess. Pancakes freeze really well, if you have leftovers. Just let them cool, put them in a ziploc and put them in the freezer.

No comments: