Thursday, May 05, 2005

Dune, Green Tea, and the Gap

One morning about a month ago, as the packers were just starting to pack up our belongings in Colorado, I realized I should find something to pass the time until they were done. I remembered a copy of Dune I'd bought once but never read (I did read Dune back in junior high but didn't recall much of it). So I grabbed the book before it got packed away, and started reading. It was very good.

I was close to the end of Dune by the time we arrived in McHenry. So we stopped at a used book store where I was able to find the next four books in the series. I paid for the books in cash, and as the lady handed me the change, a rogue dime fell out, bounced off my hand, and plopped right into her cup of green tea. It was quite funny, but also a bit awkward and embarrasing. She didn't seem too upset; I apologized and Wendy and I went on our way.

A couple of nights ago I was flipping through "God Emperor of Dune" (which I got at the bookstore) and came across a receipt. It's from the Gap, and is dated June 14, 1985. Just for fun, here's a picture:



Anyway, Abby is now here, and the weather has happily warmed up (a few nights ago parts of the Chicago suburbs got down to 21 degrees, setting the all-time low for the month of May in all of Illinois. It only got down to 35 where we live). We're planning a trip to Chicago this weekend, so we'll hopefully have more things to post after that.

PS - Happy Birthday, Joy!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks Randy & Wendy for the b-day wish & gifts!!

Owen said...

That is too funny about the tea. I hope she gave you a fresh dime :)

Anonymous said...

She did!

Anonymous said...

The trouble with the 'Dune' series is that the books got worse by powers of two (2). 'The Children of Dune' was half as good as 'Dune', the next one (I forget the title) was one-quarter as good. I didn't actually read any more of them, as I'd noticed a pattern developing.