Wednesday, June 29, 2005

Misadventures at the Mailbox

So today I checked the mail after getting home from work. I unlocked our mailbox, grabbed the mail, locked it, and I began to walk away as I started to pull out the key. The key, however, refused to come out. Since I was already moving, my hand slipped off the key and my finger scraped across the sharp end of the thin key ring. This wound up cutting my finger, pulling the key ring apart so that it disconnected from the rest of the keys, and also pulled the stubborn mail key out the lock. The key then fell onto the ground, bounced, and somehow managed to land in a thin crack between the curb and the concrete the mailbox was on. To illustrate:


Fortunately I was able to rescue the key by using a metal hanger to reach into the gap. Between this and The Green Tea Incident, though, I'm tempted to create a file called "Things I've Dropped In Unusual Places".

In semi-related news, today is our 3 and 1/2 year anniversary. While I was putting a Spongebob Squarepants band-aid on my finger, it occurred to me that instead of celebrating our full year anniversaries, which occur during the holidays when we're visiting family, we should instead celebrate our half-year anniversaries, which occur close enough to the July 4th weekend that we could have an extra-long vacation. Wendy thought this was an excellent idea. It's too late to plan a long trip for this year, but we do still have a 3-day weekend coming up. Perhaps we can find a cool place in Northern Illinois/Southern Wisconsin to visit.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

At work the other day, I dropped two chicken wings. One fell on the floor, but I couldn't find the other one. Ten minutes later I reached into my apron pocket and found the renegade wing. A)ew. B)I'm sorry to hear about your finger.

Anonymous said...

What a great idea to celebrate your anniversary on the half-year! In the excitement of the Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Year's holidays, I forget to mention it to you two. But, I think July 4 would be a good reminder to me to congratulate you two.
So, CONGRATULATIONS on 3 1/2 years. May your love grow closer and closer. From what I see, you two are wonderful for each other.
Love you both so much.

Anonymous said...

Hi Sweeties!

Hope you did, indeed, find someplace fun to visit this long weekend. How amazing to realize that it has been 3 1/2 years already! I know your marriage will get better and better with every passing year.

I had an interesting and frustrating conversation with one of my day camp staff last week. A divorced person, she is absolutely CONVINCED that it is impossible to stay happily and excitingly married for any length of time.

Her theory (fact for her, I guess) is that you are happy for only a little while, then you simply tolerate each other for as long as you can. Active enjoyment of a spouse's company is something that she finds incomprehensible. She vehemently would not accept that such an experience is typical of many marriages when I told her of it.

Her loss.

Love and kisses to you both!

Anonymous said...

I think the idea to celebrate your anniversary on the 1/2 date is great and is actually a family tradition. When Wendy's Aunt Carol was young, we found that celebrating her birthday on December 17 was a problem due to the closeness of Christmas. We observed that the Queen of England always celebrated her birthday in June, regardless of the real date, to take advantage of the the weather. Well, we thought, if it is good enough for Queen Elizabeth, it is good enough for Carol Elizabeth, so we started celebrating on June 17. Itwas much nicer to get her summer toys and clothes than give gifts just before Christmas, although we did do an official observance on the official date.

When she was younger and told people it was her birthday, they would say,"How old are you?" and she would reply, "Five & a half" getting some odd reactions.

Love GP