Wednesday, August 24, 2005

Four score and seven years ago...

George has finished his novel! That's right, he's done; a week ahead of schedule and 200 words over the minimum. He called this afternoon and we talked briefly about it - he's already making plans for the next novel...

And my novel? It's still coming along. I broke 40,000 words today, so I have a week left to write and 10,000 words to go. I don't think that 50,000 words will finish my story, though, as I'm only a little more than halfway through my plot. I started to worry a few days ago that I was writing the world's most boring novel, but today I wrote a fun scene between mortal enemies that restored some of my faith. I guess if I really start to struggle, I can always follow my dad's writing advice: "And now," said the heroine, "I will recite the Gettysburg Address." Or maybe she could turn to Shakespeare, or the dictionary, for comfort. Not that those would necessarily make my novel more exciting, but they would help me reach 50,000 words.

In other exciting news: I found out yesterday that I was selected to interview for a position that I really want and think I would be really good at. The interview is next Monday, so if you could all send good thoughts my way, I would definitely appreciate it!

Randy and I saw Broken Flowers this past weekend and enjoyed it, although we both got the impression that some of the people in the theater were there expecting a Bill Murray film rather than a Jim Jarmusch film. At one point, the man seated next to Randy muttered, "What the hell is going on?" That pretty much sums up every Jim Jarmusch film I've seen, but in a good way.

And I think that's probably enough from my rather scattered brain today.

7 comments:

george said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
george said...

I actually thought I had cheated with a Gettysburg Address -- or shortcut, as Baty called it.

I meant to put in the lyrics to Donovan's "Atlantis," and it would have been re-written to talk about the Lost Planet Called Earth instead of Atlantis. But turns out I forgot to put it in the chapter!

But congratulations on the 40,000 word mark! It really is downhill from that point. And good luck on the interview. Good thoughts are headed your way!

Austin said...

George, aren't I supposed to write that song?!?

Wendy, kudos on everything. Much good vibes will be sent your way. I'm so happy for you and George.

I'm thinking of taking the NaNoWriMo plunge, too. I don't know if I'll be able to actually do it this semester during the big yearly event, or not. But, regardless, I think I'd like to. It seems a good way to deal with all the self-possessed baggage that gets in the way or writers just freely writing.

All good things.

george said...

Austin, yes. I forgot to e-mail the plot points, and I figured with school starting you wouldn't have time soon anyway, so I'd send them to you at a later date.

You should totally take the NaNoWriMo plunge. If you can spare maybe two hours a day, you shouldn't have any problem.

Jill said...

Congrats Wendy on the writing and the interview!

Anonymous said...

Yay! Good luck on the writing and the interview! I'll be hoping for the best!

Anonymous said...

Good vibes will be bombarding you on Monday!!!

Glad to hear the novel is progressing. Keep pushing your pencil.