Sunday, August 14, 2005

Help! Help! I'm Being Repressed!

Saturday was International Left-Handers Day. To quote from the newsletter my mom passed along:

Left-handers routinely encounter difficulties that most right-handers do not fully appreciate. For instance: scissors, can openers...power tools and kitchen utensils... For those of us who are right-handed, try using your left hand to do these simple little tasks. You will learn very quickly that it's quite challenging, and hopefully you’ll have a greater appreciation for those who are left-handed.

Darn straight. I celebrated my left-handedness by going with Randy to his company's annual picnic and holding my cotton candy in my left hand.

We had a great time at the picnic. The weather was perfect for an outdoor event - upper-70s and overcast. The event itself was much more elaborate than I had expected - there were carnival rides, bouncy castles, a giant slide, face painters, stilt walkers, a petting zoo, pony rides, bingo, and a catered cookout. We rode the rides, ate some lunch, and looked but did not pet at the zoo. I got to meet a few of Randy's co-workers that I hadn't met before as well.

This weekend was also Lakemoorfest, which is apparently a celebration of all things Lakemoor-ian. We didn't go, because it looked pretty similar to the picnic, only not free, but we did watch the fireworks they had last night. We're close enough that we only had to walk down the street and around the corner a bit in order to see over the houses, which was nice. We were both very impressed with the fireworks - Lakemoor's not a huge place, so we weren't expecting much, but they were fairly spectacular.

Novel update: I'm making good progress. I'm not quite matching George's furious pace, but I only need 1700 words by the end of tomorrow (very do-able; I wrote 2600 today) in order to reach the 25,000 word mark. Then I'll be halfway finished by the halfway point!

The book's definitely going to need editing once it's done, but I'm actually kind of looking forward to it. I'm sure I'll have changed my mind by the time I've rewritten half of it, but let me keep my illusions for now.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear about your progress on the novel!

I was up in your area this past Wednesday for the Ravinia Festival, where Rufus Wainwright and Ben Folds were playing. I made much better time, and think I found a better route than before. So I'll have to try it again sometime to get to you! :)

george said...

Yes, excellent on the novel front! I know exactly what you mean on the editing front. The furious pace I'm writing at will bite me in the tailpipe when we hit the editing phase. (Is NaNoEdMo only one month? I think I'll need two.) I have a feeling people would rather read your book than mine when it's all said and done.

And I'm not having the output I'd hoped this weekend: too many computer issues with my sister's PC. The PDA-thingy is nice and workable, but it lags a bit when you're working on a document that's close to 30,000 works long.

And as to being left handed: Kudos for you for your leftist display with the cotton candy! Do your best to make it a more sinister world!

Austin said...

Wendy!!! Re: the novel - Yay!!!

The left-handedness: sorry that the world turns a cold, right-handed shoulder to you. Be proud that the left hand is closer to the heart (the heart we use to pledge allegiance, at least).

Wendy said...

Update: 25,111 words! Yay! Thanks for all the encouragement, everyone.

george said...

Woohoo! Halfway there!

BTW, I sent you your book and a check to the KRA today. You should get them in a few days. But no OSU check today.

Chris didn't like how I proved it only takes half a Sooner's effort to thwart OSU!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Randy said...

Four and a half months into our blogging adventure, our first comment spam appeared. As you can see, it has been deleted.