Tuesday, September 13, 2005

Hot Air For a Cool Breeze

Apparently we brought our drought karma with us from Colorado, because it's still been very warm and dry here, with temperatures well above normal. This evening, though, a storm front blew through, bringing my favorite kind of weather. I love it when it gets cloudy, blustery, and cool right before a big storm. (As opposed to the oppressive, humid stillness you sometimes get instead, which I don't like at all.)

By about 5 p.m., it was overcast, with the wind ruffling the surface of the pond and tossing all the leaves on the trees around. I opened the windows, and as we ate dinner, we watched what looked like a heck of a storm roll in, turning the sky dark and sending lightning bolts flying. We could smell the ozone and humidity. The wind kept picking up, at times blowing the reeds around the pond flat against the ground. The weather people reported that there was a severe thunderstorm warning, and we were eagerly anticipating it.

We got no rain at all.

The storm blew right by without stopping. At least tomorrow is supposed to be about 15 degrees cooler, much more in line with average temperatures for this time of year. I'm crossing my fingers and hoping it stays nice for my birthday next week, but I'm afraid it won't.

Edited to add: Randy and I just got back from a walk around our neighborhood. Part of it is still under construction, and it was windy enough earlier that a Porta-Potty set up for the construction workers had blown over. That will be an unpleasant surprise for someone to find in the morning.

Also, on a completely unrelated note, is five months an unreasonably long time to wait for a dentist appointment? My eye doctor saw me the same day, my medical doctor saw me the next week, but my dentist can't see me until February. That seems way too long to have to wait, but maybe it's actually par for the course.

8 comments:

Jill said...

How clever of you to stick a subtle birthday reminder into your post. So um, in case I forget next week, Happy Birthday!

I hope you guys get some rain soon. I really enjoyed your description of the storm build-up. Quite nice.

Austin said...

"cold comfort for change..."

Happy Birthday!

Anonymous said...

That sounded like an Oklahoma storm!

I think you should try a new dentist. That is way too long.

Wendy said...

That's what I thought, too. We did decide to switch dentists, although because of insurance rules, I can't call for an appointment at the new place until after October 1. Still, it looks like the new dentist will be able to get me in sometime this year, at least!

george said...

We've had articles on how there are dentist shortages in rural areas, but I don't know if in McHenry County that's the tooth of the matter.

Anonymous said...

WENDY!!!!!

Happy Birthday! I've been thinking about you a lot. I hope things are well (by the reads of them, they are). I love you and miss you.
LOVE, leah lcpwestra@yahoo.com

Anonymous said...

p.s belated, i know--september 20th not 21st. love, lcpw

Anonymous said...

Hallo? Where is the birthday update? We all know you had one.