Friday, September 02, 2005

News and Notes

The Job Search
Unfortunately, Wendy didn't get the job she interviewed for. We're both disappointed. She was incredibly well qualified, and the interview went really well, but they decided to hire someone from within the department. Something else will come along, though, so we'll keep our eyes open.

New Orleans
Let me say first of all that I'm very glad that supplies have finally made their way to New Orleans. I'm extremely appalled, though, that it took ALMOST 5 DAYS for them to get there!! It's very, very wrong for that to happen.

The Weather
Wendy heard recently that this has been the 3rd driest summer ever for this part of Illinois. It certainly appears that way: I've been driving by acres of brown and withered crops on my way to and from work.

College Football
I'm still struggling with how sports fits into the national scene right now, but the fact is that the college football season has started. These are the games we're looking forward to this weekend:
* OU vs TCU: What will our offense look like? More importantly, how good is our defense?
* Notre Dame vs Pitt: Charlie Weis vs Dave Wannstedt. Whose coaching skills will reign supreme?
* Miami vs FSU: Usually a good contest, but why make this the first game of the season? It would probably be a better game if both teams had a few weeks of experience first.

The Local Sports Team
The Chicago Bears' preseason has been a trainwreck to say the least. Their starting QB got injured and is out for the season; their backup QB turned out to be so bad he's fallen off the depth chart; so their only option now is give the helm to Kyle Orton, a rookie QB. Not an auspicious start. At least we get to watch former Sooners Mark Bradley and Tommie Harris play.

On Instant Replay
I have to say I'm not a big fan of instant replay, and I'm a little sad to see it appearing at the college level. It slows down the game and seems to change the way that referees officiate.

Sometimes, we're a little lame
The light in our loft hasn't been working the past few weeks, and we were really stumped as to why. There are 3 lights in the light fixture, and they had all stopped working at the same time. It didn't seem likely that they'd all burned out together, and they didn't even look burned out. All the other electrical outlets in the loft worked, so we didn't think it was circuit-related (but we're not electricians, either). Finally, today, Wendy solved the mystery. There's a second switch for that light in the loft that we'd totally forgotten about, and it was neither on nor off, but stuck right in the middle. Wendy flipped the switch and presto! The lights now work. I think we're both a little embarrassed that it took us several weeks to figure it out.

3 comments:

george said...

So when Wendy remembered the second switch, was it like a light went off in her head?

Sorry about the job, Wendy. But something better will come along. But it means more time to dedicate to writing!

I agree that the response to Hurricane Katrina has been so appalling. It just seems so surreal how this is happening in our own country. I've had to read so many stories and had to see so many pictures (many of which were too graphic for us to run).

We've also run a lot of local stories about the tragedy, but I was particularly disgusted about one we had about a girl who just graduated last spring from Lawrence High School who was crying that she had to put off going to Tulane for a year and enroll at KU. I know she's just 18, but you'd think it would be old enough for her to realize that people were being raped and killed in the streets, and she should consider herself one of the lucky ones. That story put me in a very bad mood the rest of the night.

And I feel like a cad because I was feeling sorry for myself when I got in to work today because of the debacle against TCU, but putting together tomorrow's front page has smacked me into my place. Concerns should not be on football at the moment.

Austin said...

I'm sorry about the job, Wendy. Isn't that frustrating? So many times at TV Guide, they'd know exactly who they wanted to hire for a job, but they still had to open it up to the public for interviews and whatnot. I think it's ridiculous. Why can't they just hire the person they're going to hire. Any "benefit" supposedly derived from the pretense of an open interviewing process is crushed the moment they reveal they've hired someone internally.

Anonymous said...

Sigh...sorry to hear about the job results, Wendy. I hope something works out soon.